Friday, February 13, 2009

She is doing awesome! She woke up like a bear who got woke up early from hibernation. They usually don't bring parents into recovery but after two doses of Morphine and she was still screaming, they called for me. I would love to say she settled right down for me, but she didn't. The only thing that settled her was a Popsicle. She ate it as fast as she could and we were finally able to go to her room. They wheeled the two of us up and she was given applesauce. She attacked it, barely pausing to let me open it. She downed 2 jello cups and then spaghetti O's, which she never eats. The reason for this frantic eating is that she hadn't eaten since 11pm the night before and they took her into surgery late, 2:15pm. Poor thing was going through the back pack looking for food while we waited, I didn't bring any food. She was gone for about 1 hour and then I meet the surgeon in the hall and he told us everything went well. He made it very clear that her tonsils were enormous and where causing her to probably not hear very well, which is why her speech isn't always clear and causing the sleep apnea. He said this should help her in a lot of ways, so happy about that. They put tubes in, he said with all the sticky junk that was in there she probably wasn't hearing well. The nice thing is we don't have to plug her ears when she is in water, unless it is salt water. We decided to come home due to the little girl that was sharing our room. She must have had a big surgery, because they had to keep messing with her and that brought on a bunch of crying and screaming that would last for a while. We figured we would sleep easier. They also didn't want to take the IV out until we left and it was driving her crazy. She was so excited to leave she was at the door saying "Come on Mom!" She really wanted the wagon ride through the hospital. When we walked out the hospital doors she said "We leaving," and smiled. At the car she squealed and clapped. At home she was running, and laughing and just plain happy. Grandma came and helped last night. We finally got her to sleep and then we crashed. I was able to give her medicine to her without walking her up all the way at 2 but at 6 she was wide awake. My mom told me to go ahead and go back to sleep for a bit, which I totally needed. She is cramming food down as fast as she can, eggs, cheese jello and yogurt. I guess she figures she needs to eat as much as she can just in case I starve her again. Poor thing. She took a bath and we cleaned the blood and junk out of her ears and she started to cry and had a little blood on her teeth. We are trying really hard to help her understand that crying isn't good. I took pics and will post them later. Britt is so bummed that he isn't here. The other driver he is caravaning with decided to take the yuck loads so Britt could get home before next Friday. Ok gotta go.

1 lil' notes:

Collett Family said...

I am sorry to hear that Alexis has had to endure so much - it is so sad to see little ones suffer. It sounds like this surgery should really help her in multiple ways. I hope she has a speedy recovery!